Sunday, June 10, 2018

Observing Surgeries and a Visit to Cape Coast!


The past couple of days have been absolutely amazing. We’ve continued to work with the staff of St. Thomas Eye Center. They are incredibly helpful and very friendly to us volunteers. I’m super excited to work with them for the last week of this trip before we go home. We were also able to go to the botanical gardens in Accra, see the slave castles in Cape Coast, and even pet some trained crocodiles.

One of the main highlights of the past couple of days was having had the opportunity to observe St. Thomas’ ophthalmologist perform surgeries. It’s been a couple of weeks since I have been able to do that, so I really appreciated the privilege to not only see those surgeries, but to ask the doctor any questions about his career and the steps it took him to get where he is today.

This brings me to the main lesson that I learned (and probably something that I mentioned weeks ago.) Doctors, no matter where in the world, require so much technical training to become competent, healthcare professionals. While I was talking to the ophthalmologist, I learned about his story. After completing medical school in Ghana, he completed further training all over the world before being able to regularly practice surgery and medicine. That taught me that hard work and dedication bring success, no matter what race, religion, or social status. That’s something I want to apply in my life.

At the botanical gardens in Aburi

Canopy Walk at Lalim National Park

Canopy Walk, part 2

Found another alligator

Elmina slave castle

No comments:

Post a Comment