Friday, June 1, 2018

Fabulous Food


The past couple of days have been absolutely incredible. We worked with Crystal Eye Clinic in the western region of the country. We spent most of our time in areas around a city called Takoradi, a small city just outside of Cape Coast. For the three days that we were there, we screened about 400 patients a day. We would start work at around 11am and would finish at around 7 or 8pm. But just as the previous weeks, we dispensed different medicines and glasses to the patients that needed them.  

One notable thing that I’d like to share with all of you today is actually about the food that we’ve eaten. While I’ve been here many people have asked me what I’ve been eating. Here in Ghana, the staple food is called fufu. Like rice or noodles in other countries, fufu provides locals with the carbohydrates they need to go throughout the day. To make it, locals ground up cassava and plantains until they become a fine powder. Then they slowly mix in hot water until the consistency of the concoction is thick like dough. It’s usually served in a spicy stew with your choice of meat. I usually prefer goat, but that’s because I’m weird. So all in all, fufu, spicy soup, and a huge hunk of meat are thrown into a bowl probably as large as the average salad bowl. Then you eat it—with your hands. I honestly love it. It’s such a messy and fun experience that anyone in Africa should try. Every day we have also had this food called waakye (pronounce wah-chee). It’s just rice and beans mixed together. We’ve had that for breakfast every morning. It’s usually paired with a tomato-based sauce, boiled eggs, cassava flakes, and your choice of meat. I like that a lot too.

Ghanaian culture is so rich in all aspects. From the food to the people, I just can’t seem to get enough. I learn something new here every day. I learn to enjoy this experience a little more with each of those experiences.




Fufu!

Waakye!

No comments:

Post a Comment